Guruvayur Temple Customs
1. Ideally, entrance in to the temple for the darshan (new glimpse of the Lord) is made after a holy dip in the "Rudratheertham" (temple pond), and in the same wet clothes while querying up for the darshan, devotees are to maintain strict discipline and be careful about their ornaments and purses. They are not to stand on the belikkallu (Altar).
2. According to Guruvayur dress code wearing shirts, trousers, vests, pyjamas, lungis (printed dhotis), pants, jeans, footwear etc. is forbidden. Hence ladies can wear saris and skirts, blouses and churidar while the men can wear plain white or cream dhoti. Children are allowed to wear shorts but without covering their upper body.
3. Be always clean while visiting the temple and also keep temple premises and surroundings clean
4. Follow the temple security and staff directions
5. Use toilets and latrines for urination and bowel clearance.
6. Follow the queue system in eastern entrance to get sreekovil darshan.
7. Deposit waste in waste bins only
7. Park vehicles only at the allotted parking slot
8. One should be careful not to spit or vomit in the temple. Very small children should not be taken inside. Those who are dirtying the temple will have to pay for the 'Punyaha' or purification ceremony.
9. Newly married couples are not allowed inside the temple, soon after the marriage ceremony.
10. Do not rush and jump Q’s for darshan
11. Do not carry mobile phones and other electronics devices in to the temple. Please deposit at the counters
12. Do not throw waste anywhere other than the waste bins